Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Top 10 Post #1 or For You I'd Wait, Til Kingdom Come

Recently I've been devoid of inspiration for this blog. I then decided to come up with my Top 10 Favorite Songs of All Time List. Like that would be easier...

I was able to narrow the list down to 30 and then after many hours of switching and adding, 10. The list isn't in order other than #1 and let's be honest, it'll probably change every year from now for forever. But as it stands right now, this is it. For you purists out there, I have not included any covers, live or acoustic versions, only original recordings. It was fun and a little stressful to create the list and it unexpectedly brought me down memory lane(s.) I'm excited to share what each of these songs mean to me with all of you, so let's get started.

My first song is from a band that I'd consider one of my all time favorites. One of the things that made me a little nervous about discussing my all time favorite songs was the thought of putting into words what the artists  who created those songs mean to me. My first thought is that it will go on for pages and pages. The next thought that I had was that I'd never be able to do them justice. I then realized that I'm not writing for a magazine, just for a few loyal readers who probably already know me. And if you do, you already know how I feel about this band. Talking about this band and song is likely to get all sentimental. You've been warned.

The band is Coldplay and the song is "Til Kingdom Come." I don't feel like I need to go into depth regarding the history of Coldplay as they are now one of the world's most recognizable acts. In short, since 1996, Coldplay has existed in some form or fashion. In their run so far they've won 7 BRIT awards, 7 Grammy's out of 20 nominations, probably a lot of other awards, and toured worldwide 5 times to go with their 5 studio albums. They are one of music's top selling acts and for some reason, to me, they still feel like an unknown band made personally for me. That's how much I connect with them. If you ask heroes of mine like Chuck Klosterman, Coldplay is everything that's wrong with today's pop music if not, the world, and they are the reason that women have an unrealistic view of love and relationships. Shut up. I don't care.

This particular song is a bonus track on 2005's X&Y. This song was originally to be recorded by Coldplay and Johnny Cash, but he sadly passed away before he was scheduled to record it. If you ever hear the band do this song live, they'll say "This is for Johnny Cash," and when they performed it on Austin City Limits, they  transitioned it into Cash's "Ring of Fire." On this particular album, the band started experimenting with more electronics in their sound, straying somewhat from the heavy piano fans were used to. They were even criticized for borrowing a hook from Kraftwerk. That's how they were feeling when recording X&Y. Real electronic and real German, but I dig it. Critical response to this album is varied and it got a bad rap from some because it wasn't the same as A Rush of Blood to the Head, but it shouldn't have been. This bonus track is the only one on the record that isn't electronically influenced. It's very basic, simple and clean in sound and lyric. I'd venture to say that it's my favorite Coldplay album and it has a lot to do with where I was at in my life when it came out and a lot to do with "Til Kingdom Come."

This song made the top 10 for 2 reasons.

1. This song was favorite part my first Coldplay concert. I saw Coldplay (and Rilo Kiley,) in September 2005 with my oldest sister at the Nissan Pavilion  We drove up, saw the show and drove back the same night. I had just been hired as a Student Ambassador (tour guide,) and had little to no voice for our Open House the next morning. Worth.it. We got there early enough to make it to the front row. My first front row concert ever. If you've ever been to this venue, you know that the stage is set at the bottom of a very large hill and the entrance is on the other side of that hill. So when we entered, we basically had to run around the circumference of the hill to get in on time to be in the front row. Again, worth.it. At this tour, the band did this thing where each member took pictures backstage with a disposable camera and then the cameras get brought on stage halfway through the show. They take pictures of the crowd and then throw them out. I GOT ONE OF THE CAMERAS (much to the chagrin of the girl I kind of jumped in front of to catch it.) So not only do I have amazing memories from this show, I have pictures of myself in the crowd. That is unique.

That's me in the "ONE" shirt. Yes, me, With that jawline, all skinny. My sister is next to me in the gray shirt and face full of enthusiasm. The pictures I took with the remaining film were from when the band came to the front of the stage and acoustically performed "Til Kingdom Come." I can honestly say that moment is one of the happiest of my entire life and it will continue to be forever. Live music does something to people that is hard enough to explain but with the right companion, the right time of year, the right band, the right spot in the crowd it was perfect.And "Til Kingdom Come" was the soundtrack to that moment. Absolutely perfect.

2. The second reason is a little more personal if that's possible. The second reason it's on my favorites list is because this is the song I relate to the feeling of being in love. Without going into unnecessary detail here, I was in a very gooey in-love time of my life when this album came out and "Til Kingdom Come" helps me remember what that's like. While that relationship ended long ago and others have come and gone in it's place since then, this song remains. The message is so simple and I think that's what love is supposed to be like. Movies, TV, songs and bitter friends tell us that love is complicated, it's not a fairy tale, it's hard work, etc. And parts of that may be true. But at the heart of the matter in my opinion, love is about finding someone that you care for more than yourself, that helps you be the best you, and that you'd wait forever for. For you I'd wait/ til kingdom come/ until my days/ my days are done/ say you'll come/ and set me free/ just say you'll wait/ you'll wait for me. Someone that makes you feel like the bullshit was worth it, because you've found where you're supposed to be. Call me a romantic, I don't care. This is what it felt like for me and it will again someday. That person wasn't right, but that right person does exist. And when that happens, I'll know that I'd waited for the right thing and if I had to keep waiting, I would, because the right things are worth waiting.

I think the real reason I love this song is because deep down, I'm the sappiest romantic ever. And if you know me well, this should be no shock. I have a thing for the impossible love story, I get all weepy when I see elderly couples holding hands, I think penguins mate for life, and that there is someone waiting for me (probably not with baited breath, but figuratively waiting for me.) This song is all of that for me and holds a special place in my heart and on this list.


No comments:

Post a Comment